“Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.”
Revelstoke Mountain Resort boasts North America’s greatest vertical at 1,713 metres (5,620 ft). The resort offers 3,121 acres of fall line skiing, high alpine bowls, renowned gladed terrain, and endless groomers. It is also the only resort world-wide to offer lift, cat, heli, and backcountry skiing from one village base.
As Revelstoke Mountain Resort heads into its 7th season of operations, the resort will open at the end of November (tentatively set to open on November 30, 2013).
In mid-winter 2012, The Sutton Place Hotel was introduced to what was previously known as the Nelsen Lodge. The third phase of the luxury condo-hotel was completed in February 2012, almost doubling the occupancy with an additional 107 condo-hotel rooms (total 222). With the new phase, a brand new outdoor, year-round pool, and hot tubs opened to hotel guests as well as a spacious, fully-equipped fitness studio while expanded services to the hotel included a wine & cheese guest reception, dedicated concierge, après-ski yoga sessions, and child care.
Upon completion, the Resort will offer more than 20 lifts and over 100 ski and snowboard runs, transforming the area into a world-class destination. The four-season resort will include over 5,000 new housing units (1,500 resort condominiums, 2,000 hotel suites, 850 townhomes, and 550 single-family lots), as well as more than 500,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, plus a resort-style golf course.
On-mountain, the Turtle Creek Beginner Area and Tube Park opened for the first time in January 2012 and was well received by guests of all ages. The Kids’ Revelstoke Outdoors Centre, activity centre and snow school also in its inaugural year, was a great success and made good use of the new base area beginner slope. Introductory snowmaking on the lower mountain made a significant difference in the quality of the snow base and its longevity, enhancing the ski experience on lower mountain trails and the new Turtle Creek Beginner Area & Tube Park.
To enhance the Revelstoke Mountain Resort experience, the following additional features will be available for the 2013/2014 winter season:
- Improved Ninja Traverse – The Ninja Traverse has been Sumo Sized! They’ve widened and groomed this trail to provide an easy and smooth return to the base of the Stoke Chair.
- 007 Upgrade – 007 has been remodeled with a cut-through run to improve access to Mid-Mountain Lodge.
- Snowmaking – Upgraded to improve lower mountain skiing and Village access.
- Better Beginner Terrain – Greenhorn and The Last Spike have been widened and realigned from top to bottom for improved skiing. In addition, a widened access trail provides more green skiing options on Lower Mountain.
- Faster Opening – New bomb tram installed at the Sweet Spot entrance to North Bowl to provide faster opening times on powder days.
- Run Additions – Two new runs are being developed off the Stoke Chair.
- Glades Galore! – Tasty Glades and Rollercoaster area (now Tally-Ho Glades) have been aggressively gladed for similar spacing to The Ripper glades. The Stoke base has improved visibility and access.
- Mid-Mountain Lodge is now “Revelation Lodge” – New management has brought new menu options to Revelation Lodge.
- Wino Renamed “The Village Tavern” – Reimagined for 2013 / 2014, enjoy a new après experience at the Resort Village Base.
- Snowshoe Tours – Available daily from the top of the Gondola!
- Calgary Shuttle – Dedicated shuttle bus operations all winter from Calgary International Airport (YYC).
- FREE Family Fun – Free tubing all winter for Season Pass holders. They’re also continuing the Tot/Chaperone program which provides parents with a complimentary lift ticket when skiing with children aged 5 and under.
In November’s issue of Powder Magazine, they ranked the top 64 places to ski powder in North America based on Powder Per Person (or P3), which took into account things like vertical, snowfall, and skiable acreage. These rankings were used as a way to seed each of the 16 ski areas per region in a 64-team March Madness-style bracket, called Ski Town Throwdown.
The initial evaluation was done by Powder Magazine, using the P3 rating, and Revelstoke Mountain Resort easily made it past the first round. But now your help is needed to beat Whitewater in Nelsen, BC – they won the final competition last year and it’s going to be close to beat them in the next round of voting! Round 2 voting happens for 24 hours only and is on Halloween – October 31.
To vote, go to Facebook.com/PowderMag on October 31 and vote for Revelstoke Mountain Resort. Mark your calendars!